Tuesday, March 25, 2014

New rescue: Jack

Rescued a leopard gecko today.

By rescued, I really DO mean rescued. He was nearly dead, and wouldn't have lasted much longer.

I was in this pet store 2 weeks ago, and I saw him there then too,but I didn't have any money to buy him (they were charging $70) I thought he had maybe a day or two left in him then, and I felt terrible that I had to leave him.

I went back today, just in case, and he was still there, in the same spot, same position. He hadn't even moved.
Jack, in his cage at the pet store
I wasn't sure he was even alive, so I tapped on the glass. He moved his little left hand, just a little. I went up to the front of the store and asked the owner how much he wanted for the starving, half dead gecko. 
He said "Which one?"
I said "the one that looks like a little skeleton"
He said "show me." and went with me to the back where they had the non-fish animals.
I pointed him out, and said "THAT one."
He said "Oh, let me get rid of that for you..."
I said "No, I want to BUY him, how much?"
he said "$69.9..."
I interrupted him, telling him that was way too much to pay for a gecko that might not make it through the next 2 or 3 days.
He said "Well, what will you give me?"
I told him $15 or $20. 
He said he couldn't let him go for less than $25.
I told him I would take the gecko for $25.

 

When I got him out to the car, I noticed he was blind. That was why he hadn't been eating the crickets in his cage, he couldn't find them.

When I got him home, I offered him 3 small superworms. He ate them eagerly.



No comments:

Post a Comment